Author: Ryan Dube
•3/03/2009
For anyone who missed it, back in January I commented about Helium.com, remarking that, "Helium is not the place I would recommend going if you hope to earn the big bucks." As you can see here, I've written a fair share of articles at Helium.com, but that was mostly at the beginning of my online writing career, when I didn't really know any better and was just testing the waters.

Helium Decides to Step it Up a Notch

To my surprise, only a few weeks after I published that article, Helium.com decided to increase their revenue sharing approach. So, in all fairness, I must reassess my original take on Helium. Instead of earning a "paltry" income from investing your time on the site, you will now be earning a "very tiny" income - but only if you're willing to invest a fair amount of time. Here's how the new system currently works.

Helium is now willing to offer "up-front" payments for your articles, similar to Associated Content, but at a lower rate and dependent upon your "writing stars" and your "rating stars." The current rates are as follows:

* 1 Writing Star – $0.50 per article published
* 2 Writing Star – $1.00 per article published
* 3 Writing Star – $1.50 per article published
* 4 Writing Star – $2.00 per article published
* 5 Writing Star – $2.50 per article published

The catch? You have to have "1 rating star." If you don't maintain at least a single rating star, you won't earn those upfront payments. How hard is it to maintain a rating star? Read on.

Read More...
This entry was posted on 3/03/2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On March 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM , brian said...

Hi Ryan,

My name is Brian and I work with Ogilvy 360 Digital Influence and World Community Grid.

Thanks for sharing your article "10 Ways To Donate Your CPU Time To Science", and also for donating your computer cycles toward the Help Cure Cancer Project!

I would love to get in touch with you to share about a new video World Community Grid's put up for Harvard's Clean Energy Project. We just uploaded it today and hope that you can help share it with your readers, family and friends :)

I feel bad about hijacking your comments field like this, but if you are open, please contact me at brian.koh@ogilvy.com so that I can tell you more :)

Best,
Brian

 
On April 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM , Anonymous said...

Ryan Dube, you have put the reality into publishing sites comparable to Helium. Helium advertises itself as a community for writers, but after reading your posting found on Google; the actuality seems that it is a community of egotistical writers spending too much time within the Helium community. Aspiring for a star, even one star, let alone five is not an ideal writing experience for talented writers.

 
On April 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM , Ryan Dube said...

Thanks for your comment - I have to agree that my experiences there, especially when it comes to being forced to "rate" articles in order to earn any of the income. It's rather silly. However, if someone has a lot of spare time on their hands, you *can* earn money, it just takes more work than other places. Thanks again for your comment!